Wednesday 8 June 2011

How'd I get here?

So, here I am.

Posting my first blog entry. Wow, that's pressure. So what to say.  Well there's lots I guess, but why am I here? Aside from the cosmic reasons (which still elude me so don't continue reading if you think I've got something profound or enlightening to say), I guess I just like the idea of being able to blather on about things that amuse/upset/confuse/titillate me; and in a forum where no response is necessary and I can be my real inner evil, non-PC self.

Things happen day to day that I wish I could comment or vent on but when I talk out loud to myself I feel a little crazy train so this seemed like a good idea.  I've a number of friends who write blogs, hilarious and amusing, and I've been considering it for quite sometime.  The fact that I could write something inane that means nothing to anyone else or share something that will (hopefully) make someone laugh appeals to me on several levels.

I always wanted to be a stand-up comedian.  I find so many things funny and always seem to go for the laugh whenever I can in conversation etc.  This is not a real possibility as there's no way I could change certain details about people/situations and them not know I'm talking about them (if they were in the audience). So this is a perfect forum.


So I guess those are my reasons for blogging.


Why today finally? Well as I was standing in the bathroom drying my hair (I do a lot of deep thinking during that time.  I think the white noise is conducive to deep thought), and decided that I don't have the self-discipline to write in a diary each day, but I'm on the computer constantly and blogging is just an online diary. And it makes it look like I'm working when really I'm romancing the dog.


Now the disclaimer: I am not PC, I swear like a sailor, I don't care if I hurt anyone's feelings (at least in this forum), so if you get offended, c'est la vie and you were warned.  Also, if I'm just about to start my period or my co-workers are making me insane, that day's blog may seem a bit more...well just more.



So the title.

I start work at 6am which means I am up at 5:30am or earlier. Anyone who's spent any amount of time with me knows that daylight hours are not my prime time.  So it is a challenge for me to be the PC/positive/happy/toeing the line person that I portray during business hours. 

Last night was a mini grocery shop to get us through to the weekend.  Just a few basics and a quick 20 minute race around the store so that I can get back home for hubby to go to his sports training.  Seeing that the self-checkouts were all full (did I mention that I work in a "customer service" type business AND hate people. Not just individuals although there are a few of those, but the human race in general?), I deeked (<-- apparently not a work but you know what I mean), into the next shortest line, placed my groceries on the belt, moved forward to bag (because I'm helpful like that) and pay.  The child at the till who will never raise above her current job as UPC scanner/food bagger, informed me as I (I!) packed my few things up that for the next time, this was the 8 items or less aisle.


I, of course, was appalled at myself for being one of "those" people and apologized sincerely for the oversight.  I didn't mention to her that while she was lounging all day in her flannel jammie pants, yelling at her 3 kids under four that my tax dollars help support, I had put in a 10 hour day that consisted of several staff confrontations about things that were out of my control, that I hadn't slept well the night before, that I had 20 minutes to get groceries and was at the end of my personal rope.


"Just remember for next time." 


PING!


If you've never heard someone snap before, that's the sounds that precedes the final straw, the end of the frayed knot, the last thing heard before someone goes completely postal.


But instead of releasing a spewing force of profanity filled vitriol all over this individual, I decided that now was the time to begin sharing my thoughts with the world. You lucky little hot dogs you.



Along the way I hope that you have a laugh or two, can commiserate on a few shared experiences, and maybe be inspired to share your life with me and the world too.


Clean up at the Express Lane!




Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment